Isabelle loves to "read". I use that term loosely because she is obviously too young to really read, but she will flip through the pages in her books for hours (okay, minutes) on end. She really loves it when Laurie or I actually read the books to her, but I was worried that she was more interested in the page turning than the story.
So I tried a little experiment yesterday: While reading my favorite book ("Moo, Baa, La La La" by Sandra Boynton) to her, I stopped on page two that tells you what a sheep says. I read the first part "A sheep says ..." and asked her to complete the line: "What does a sheep say Isabelle?". She got this intrigued look on her face, she thought very hard, and after a few seconds she confidently replied "baa". She was quite happy with herself. I was ecstatic - she really is paying attention to the words!
Now those of you who have heard Isabelle "talk" before may be a little skeptical. After all, she pretty much calls everything "ba" or "baba" (thanks to my mother) and she uses inflection to differentiate the various things she is "talking" about. But I am here to tell you that the "baa" in describing the sheep sound was quite clear and unique.
Still skeptical? Laurie repeated the experiment and she did it again - this was no fluke! She definitely knows the difference between "ba" and "baa".
Next comes "moo"! :-)
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment